How to Have a Timeless Style
There is an allure to having a “Classic Style”. A wardrobe that never goes out of style. Never feeling like you’re chasing the trends. Always looking on point. I think we can all agree that we’re looking for the timeless wardrobe where we can wear clothes forever and ever and they are always classic. I’ve written about this quite a bit – perhaps not here, but in my insiders club (which you should join!) Here are a few tips:
- The challenge with a classic wardrobe is that it still has to have a mix of fresh items so it looks current. When gals say they want a ‘classic look’, they really mean that they don’t want to look like they are ‘trying too hard’ or dressing like a younger gal. If you don’t have fresh pieces, it looks like you’re wearing Grandma’s clothes, or it looks like you work for Starbucks (you might want to google their dress code). Neither is a fun option. Having a classic wardrobe, is more about having pieces that work well with other pieces, and can be mixed and matched, having a good variety of prints AND solids (not just one or the other. When you have all basics, this will often times leave you longing for a Pinterest closet).
- Look for classy clothes. These are more timeless, but with modern cuts (figure flattering, showing curves, but not revealing).
- Don’t shy away from trends. This is what adds pizzazz and interest to your wardrobe. A classic style doesn’t mean that you don’t update your look. The trick to looking classy, is to tastefully wear trends. Sprinkle them in. Try a fun pop of color with black slacks. Or fringe with your favorite jeans.
- I don’t necessarily believe in having over-priced “investment” pieces. I do agree that you get what you pay for, but I don’t think you need to spend a small fortune to have a lovely wardrobe.
- Clothes aren’t diamonds; they won’t last forever. Be sure to try new trends. You’ll find new styles you like, and you’ll always look current! I hated lace before I tried it…and high low hems…and skinny jeans, to name a few. Now those are some of my favorite pieces. Ü
- Life is short! Wear the red heels with the graphic tee!!
I can guarantee, that you won’t look or feel like grandma (even if you are one!) if you stay modern and current.